- Best Feature Ideas: AASFE’s Show & Steal
- Originally Broadcast On:
- October 07, 2010
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
This Webinar is free for members of AASFE. Watch your member e-mail to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- October 07, 2010 and
- October 08, 2010 Enroll Now
Whether you're working in a newsroom or writing solo, it can be tough to generate creative new arts and feature-writing ideas. These two Webinars can get you started.
See how news organizations are using online tools for innovative storytelling, how the best writers are creative with annual holiday stories, and which stories made Editor's choice and why. Top editors will discuss the winning work and show you how to put these ideas to work for you.
The Webinar on Oct. 7 will showcase online work. The Oct. 8 event will highlight print trends.
You get access to both presentations for the price of one Webinar. Enroll in this course and you will have access to both presentations, the replays and extra resources.
What Will I Learn:
- Online features that have drawn strong traffic and reader response
- Innovative uses of online tools for storytelling, including video, audio and social media
- Examples of successful reader-generated content
- Story packages that best exemplify “doing more with less”
- Editor’s choice — the cream of the crop in arts and features coverage
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers, reporters, freelancers, communications professionals, students, teachers and everyone interested in writing powerful, in-depth stories.
Terry Scott Bertling is features/niche products editor at the San Antonio Express-News, overseeing the newspaper’s feature sections since December 1994. She has more than 30 years of experience in the newspaper business, including positions as managing editor of the El Paso Herald-Post and editor of The Huntsville Item. She writes occasional Travel section or Trends magazine stories, is a contributor to the www.mysanantonio.com "Trends" blog and can be found on Twitter (@TerryBertling). Bertling is also editor of the upscale monthly Trends magazine, produced by the Express-News, and is half of the author selection committee (with the newspaper's book editor) for two Express-News book and author events.
Debbie Van Tassel has held various editing positions at The Plain Dealer since joining the paper as business editor in 1999. Her staff has produced a number of award-winning reports on the steel industry and the regional economy and introduced the popular consumer-oriented Business Monday section. She became Assistant Managing Editor/Features at The Plain Dealer in October, after directing the redesign of the Monday paper to introduce reader-friendly alternative formats.
This Webinar contains audio. Please make sure you've got your headphones and speakers adjusted.
For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection