- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- April 05, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Illustrating the Story: Comics and Illustrated Journalism
- Originally Broadcast On:
- April 05, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
From interactive images to comics, an increasing number of journalists and news organizations are experimenting with new forms of illustrated journalism. And it’s no wonder: Visual journalism can be shared, generate web traffic and provide a engaging entry point into complex stories. But a successful foray into illustrated storytelling requires smart teamwork and a keen editorial eye.
In this one-hour Webinar, you will learn about the types of stories that can be effective illustrated journalism and you'll see some concrete examples of successful (and not-so-successful) projects.
What Will I Learn:
- How to avoid common missteps of illustrated journalism
- How to plan a project
- Workflow strategies that bring a project to life
- The leading practitioners in the field—and how you can find them
- How to measure engagement via web traffic and social media
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone interested in learning how to incorporate new forms of visual narrative, including comics and illustration, into your newsroom.
Erin Polgreen is an internationally recognized strategist who works at the intersection of audience engagement, news innovation, and entrepreneurship. She is the founder, editor and publisher of Symbolia: The Tablet Magazine of Illustrated Journalism. She launched the Media Ideation Fellowships and regularly consults for a variety of foundations and media organizations. Product research, development and implementation are her favorite things.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.