- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- June 28, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Community Engagement and Your News Organization
- Originally Broadcast On:
- June 28, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Community engagement is key to survival in a complicated news and information environment. Whether that means social media, community coffee shop hours, live chats or more robust comments depends on you. Each news organization should be able to articulate what it most values in community outreach, conversation and collaboration.
This Webinar will help guide your news organization to the kind of relationship it needs with its community and the strategy to build that relationship.
What Will I Learn:
- Identify what your newsroom’s priorities are in relationship to its community or audience.
- Ask questions to help your staffing, structure and coverage reflect those priorities.
- Brainstorm specific strategies to build a engaged, connected relationship with your community.
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone in leadership positions developing their organizations' strategies to build relationships and community engagement.
Joy Mayer is the Director of Community Outreach for the Columbia Missourian. Her work focuses on community engagement in journalism, and how news and information can be more of a conversation and less of a lecture. She had a 2010-2011 fellowship at the Reynolds Journalism Institute, where she did a survey of 500 newspaper editors' views on engagement, held a seminar on measuring the success of engagement efforts, and published a newsroom discussion guide for community engagement.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.