- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- December 13, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Clarity is Key: Making Writing Clean and Concise
- Originally Broadcast On:
- December 13, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
This Webinar is $9.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Great content isn’t great if readers don’t understand it or abandon it because the writing is too complicated or verbose. Even when – especially when – it’s about complicated issues, news writing needs to be clear and easily understood. Writing often gets muddled, and sources aren’t always concise. Whether you’re an editor or editing your own writing, this Webinar will help you cut through clutter and let the content shine.
What Will I Learn:
- How to get rid of redundancies
- To condense prepositional phrases into single modifiers
- How to use stronger verbs and nouns
- How to make complicated sentences clearer
- How to ensure that your writing flows smoothly
Who Should Take this Course:
Reporters, authors, editors, freelance writers, bloggers and anyone looking to refine their writing.
Lisa McLendon is the coordinator of the Bremner Editing Center in the University of Kansas journalism school, where she also teaches news writing and editing. She has worked as a copy editor at the Wichita Eagle and the Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle, and also serves as the conference vice president of the American Copy Editors Society.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.