On the Beat: Covering Hospitals
- On the Beat: Covering Hospitals
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- This course includes two unique story lines: One is geared toward quality-of-care issues and the other is focused on financial analysis. Each story unfolds over four simulation "days.” Each story takes about four hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
The rigorous training in this course will help you hone your critical-thinking skills and give you the beat-specific knowledge needed to cover the hospitals in your community.
A comprehensive resource library accompanies the role-playing simulation, with details on the online resources and organizations that can help you in your coverage.
By the way, this simulation module contains audio, so make sure have your speakers or headphones on.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Uncover sources at hospitals, local associations and government agencies.
- Work with sources to get the information you need.
- Work with your editor to get to the heart of the story.
- Interpret reports, statistics and tricky government forms.
- Extract information pertinent to your story from lengthy source documents.
- Tap online resources to flesh out your reporting.
- Detect trends across years and among documents.
Who should take this course:
Any journalist who wants to expand and enhance his or her expertise covering the medical community.
For this course you will need to have at least version 7.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
- This course contains audio, so please adjust your sound settings before getting started.