- Anatomy of a Multimedia News Organization
- Self-Directed Course
- This $29.95 course is free of charge thanks to the support of Knight Foundation.
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about three hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Anatomy of a Multimedia News Organization will help you understand how a news organization can operate as a viable online business.
You'll explore the structure of such a business, including the responsibilities of each department and the roles that must be filled to make the company successful. And, since success is measured in large part by revenue, the course shows you the many different forms a company's business model can take - and still be profitable.
We'll dissect a financial statement so you can see how money comes into and goes out of an online multimedia news organization.
After mastering the basics, you'll have the opportunity to test your acumen with interactive activities that put you in the driver's seat. As the new president of an online financial news Web site, you will choose a project for your fictitious company and then step into each department to see how it can achieve - or destroy - success.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will know:
- The many forms a business model can take in a multimedia news organization.
- How a multimedia news organization can be profitable.
- The management roles that must be filled to operate efficiently.
- The roles of the different departments from editorial to finance, from sales to technology.
- How revenue and expenses break down.
Who should take this course:
This course is for anyone who wants to know how an online news operation works.
Dickson Louie, a longtime instructor for management programs at The Maynard Institute, is principal of Louie & Associates, a San Francisco Bay Area consulting firm that provides strategic planning, marketing research and competitive analysis support to start-ups, nonprofits and Fortune 500 companies. He previously was advertising business manager and director of strategic planning for the San Francisco Chronicle.
For this course you will need to have at least version 8.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection