The Be an Editor Game
- The Be an Editor Game
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- The game takes about 15 minutes to play.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
The world of information access is changing rapidly. As news consumers find fresh ways to seek out the information they want, it's important to understand how news editors decide what will be on the front of tomorrow's newspaper.
Be an Editor, a game developed for an audience of all ages, helps you understand some of the basics. You have four top editors giving you their three top stories of the day.
What goes on the front page?
That's your job as the managing editor of the fictitious Medina Miracle.
If you are a teacher, you can use this game to teach editorial process and critical thinking. There are tools along the way to give you teaching pointers.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the process that editors go through on a daily basis to analyze story ideas, assess breaking-news stories and negotiate newsroom personalities while putting together a daily newspaper
- Identify the level of importance of a variety of news stories as well as what qualities make up a good story for the local newspaper
- Deal with deadline pressure
Who should take this course:
Anyone who has ever wondered how editors decide what goes on the front page of the daily paper. Whether you're a veteran journalist, student, teacher or newspaper reader, you'll enjoy this game.
For this course you will need to have at least version 8.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
This course contains audio, so please make sure you have your speakers or headphones on.In