Big Ideas with a Payoff for Your Newsroom
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- September 09, 2009 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Big Ideas with a Payoff for Your Newsroom
- Originally Broadcast On:
- September 09, 2009
- Time Estimate:
- One hour
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
What's working in newsrooms these days: a product, a process, a project? Who's doing something you might want to emulate? News leaders from around the country earned a trip to Poynter by offering to share a Big Idea. For this Webinar, we share some of those ideas that are paying off for news organizations.
If you registered for the live version of this Webinar, which was broadcast Sept. 9, 2009, you are already enrolled in this replay edition and don't need to pay again.
What Will I Learn:
- How a newspaper can successfully execute a breaking news strategy
- How some newspapers have become broadcasters
- How reorganization can achieve efficiency and quality
- How connecting with communities makes a difference
Who Should Take this Course:
This course if for anyone who wants to see the kinds of things other newspapers are doing to boost revenue and circulation.
Jill Geisler heads the leadership and management programs at The Poynter Institute. She teaches managers – from aspiring to veteran – how to help people do their best work. She brings humor and humanity plus a research-based, realistic approach to teaching leadership skills and values. She is the author of Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know, based on her What Great Bosses Know podcasts on iTunes U, which have been downloaded millions of times by people across the world who want to build their skills as managers. Geisler also is the instructor of several courses at Poynter's NewsU, including Dealing with Difficult Conversations and Lousy Listeners: How to Avoid Being One. You can follow her on Twitter at @jillgeisler.
Butch Ward is senior faculty and former managing director at The Poynter Institute, where he teaches leadership, editing, reporting and writing. During his 27-year career as a journalist at The Philadelphia Inquirer and Baltimore News-American, Butch held a variety of newsroom positions, including managing editor at both newspapers.
This Webinar contains audio. Please make sure you've got your headphones and speakers adjusted.
For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection