Build and Engage Local Audiences Online
- Build and Engage Local Audiences Online
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about two hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Learn why local content is essential to your survival, and how you can continue being the chief information source to your community, no matter what the platform.
In this course, you'll hear editors and publishers from across the industry share their stories and their strategies for success. Talk to a virtual colleague to think through some of the questions and concerns you'll want to address. And test your knowledge of online audiences and the tools you can use to drive them to your site. Along the way, you'll collect the info you'll need to create an action plan for your newsroom.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Discover the importance of growing your newspaper’s presence online.
- Identify and assess your online audience.
- Address concerns about your paper’s growth online.
- Hear how others have grown their sites with limited resources.
- Build a network of others who work are making the online transition and share can your fears and frustrations.
Who should take this course:
Publishers, editors and journalists in any newsroom in the middle of the online transformation. If you want to strengthen your online publication and build relationships with online audiences, this course is for you. This course also features special content for those in community and suburban newspapers -- dailies and weeklies.
Susan Karol is executive director for the Suburban Newspapers of America Foundation, a charitable trust that seeks to help community and suburban newspaper publishers meet the future communication needs of their changing communities through research and education.
Mark J. Miller has written for American Journalism Review, Presstime, Crain's BtoB's Media Business, Folio: magazine and Digital Magazine News as well as Glamour, Details, The Washington Post, Salon.com, Sports Illustrated for Kids and Runner's World, among many others.
This course contains audio and video. Make sure you've got your headphones or speakers adjusted.
For this course you will need to have at least version 8.0 of the Flash Player installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- You use Firefox or Safari 2.x or higher as your browser
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection