Online and Social Media Corrections: When, Why and How
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- May 22, 2014 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Online and Social Media Corrections: When, Why and How
- Originally Broadcast On:
- May 22, 2014
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
This Webinar is $9.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
No matter how much trust you've built with your audience, you can demolish it in seconds when you publish incorrect information. What’s the best way for you to offer corrections in a multi-platform, digital world? How should you correct a tweet or online article?
In this Webinar, you will get essential guidance for offering corrections. We will discuss examples and best practices drawn from leading publishers and journalists, that can be applied to any news organization, regardless of size or subject matter.
What Will I Learn:
- The fundamentals of effective corrections, and why they’re a powerful way to build trust and credibility
- How to determine when you need to add a correction
- How to develop a multi-platform corrections policy and workflow for your newsroom
- What to consider when offering corrections on different platforms (web, social, mobile)
- Strategies and best practices for spreading corrections on social media
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers, editors, producers and anyone in a newsroom who publishes corrections.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.