Covering a Presidential Campaign from Outside the Beltway
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- January 08, 2016 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Covering a Presidential Campaign from Outside the Beltway
- This $29.95 Webinar is free thanks to the support of the McCormick Foundation.
- Originally Broadcast On:
- January 08, 2016
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
You don't have to be embedded 24/7 inside the bubble of a presidential campaign or set down roots in Iowa or New Hampshire to give your audience smart and meaningful presidential campaign coverage.
This Webinar will show you how to give your readers, listeners and viewers distinctive reporting--without breaking the bank. This Webinar will be structured as a conversation, so bring your questions!
What Will I Learn:
- How to make campaigns in Iowa and New Hampshire relevant to your audience
- Resources to plug a local outlet into a national campaign
- How to get close to a campaign, even when it's not near you
- How to plan an inexpensive campaign coverage trip
Who Should Take this Course:
Reporters, producers, educators and anyone else looking for ideas to produce smart campaign coverage that's distinctive and doesn't break the bank.
Award-winning Tampa Bay Times Political Editor Adam Smith has been covering state and national politics since the days when Jeb Bush was a "heading-banging conservative" nobody called low-energy.
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.