Dealing With Difficult Conversations
- Dealing With Difficult Conversations
- Self-Directed Course
- This $24.95 course is free thanks to the support of the Knight Foundation.
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about an hour to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Difficult conversations are just that -- difficult.
But with proper preparation, execution and follow-up, you can approach even the toughest conversations with confidence. You'll learn about different conflict-resolution styles (with explanations of when to use each) and identify your own style. We'll also show you how to deal with any unexpected turns the conversation takes.
This course will arm you with the tools you need to get from start to finish.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will know how to:
- Identify the factors that should be considered before conducting a difficult conversation
- Choose appropriate opening lines, responses and closing comments during the conversation
- Create an effective follow-up plan tailored to the situation
Who should take this course:
Editors, producers, newsroom leaders, department heads, managers and just about anyone who has to have a difficult conversation.
Jill Geisler heads the leadership and management programs at The Poynter Institute. She teaches managers – from aspiring to veteran – how to help people do their best work. She brings humor and humanity plus a research-based, realistic approach to teaching leadership skills and values. She is the author of Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know, based on her What Great Bosses Know podcasts on iTunes U, which have been downloaded millions of times by people across the world who want to build their skills as managers. Geisler also is the instructor of several courses at Poynter's NewsU, including Dealing with Difficult Conversations and Lousy Listeners: How to Avoid Being One. You can follow her on Twitter at @jillgeisler.
For this course you will need to have at least version 8.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
This course contains audio, so please make sure you have your speakers or headphones on.