Editing Entertainment and Pop Culture Writing
- This upcoming Webinar will be broadcast on:
- Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 2:00pm Eastern Time Enroll Now
- Can't attend the live Webinar? We'll have an archived replay available soon after the live session. Your registration will give you access to the replay plus our bonus resources.
- Editing Entertainment and Pop Culture Writing
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Save 20-25 percent off the full price of this course and more by becoming a Poynter Prepared Member. Learn more and join now. This webinar is $11.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Even if you’re primarily writing about pop culture and entertainment, editing is still serious business. Just because the words and topics are funny doesn’t mean you can be a slob.
In this webinar, writers and editors will learn the differences (and similarities!) between entertainment editing and more traditional editing, including tone/voice, point of view and the nitty-gritty details.
What Will I Learn:
- The differences and similarities between entertainment editing and more traditional forms—and why it matters
- How to edit with a pop-culture-savvy audience in mind
- What details matter, and which ones you can let go
- How to maintain a consistent tone in coverage that includes original voices and perspectives
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers or editors currently working or interested in working at publications that write about pop culture or entertainment
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.