Becoming a More Effective Leader: The Power of Relationships (2015)
- Becoming a More Effective Leader: The Power of Relationships (2015)
- Online Group Seminar
- Time Estimate:
- The content of this course unfolds over several weeks. There are few scheduled meeting times, except for several live discussions, so you'll be able to learn on a schedule that works for you. The minimum time commitment each week is three to four hours.
About Online Group Seminars
In an online group seminar, you will gather with other participants in a virtual space, logging in from anywhere, day or night, over the course of several weeks. A faculty member guides the group through new material, moderates discussions and provides individual feedback.
- February 16 to March 13, 2015
For any leader, even the best work relationships are challenging. Learn what healthy work relationships look like; how you can improve your own as a leader; and how you can harness the power of relationships to bring about exceptional results in your organization.
The course will be organized around the idea of four pillars of relationship building for leaders: communication, conflict, performance and control. You'll examine your own leadership style and learn to approach old problems with a new perspective. You'll also have the opportunity for two one-on-one coaching sessions with Butch Ward, the Poynter faculty leading this course. At the end of the course, you'll have a plan for building healthy relationships that produce results.
View the sample syllabus for this seminar.
What Will I Learn:
- The strengths and challenges of your own leadership style
- How to stay focused on results without being manipulative
- Ways to deal with difficult relationships
- How to make relationship-building part of everyday work
- How to connect conflict resolution techniques to the actual work that needs to happen
- Tools for building healthy relationships that produce exceptional results in your organization
Who should take this course:
- New leaders at small and midsize organizations who are trying to understand how to relate to the folks who work for them
- Staffers who are preparing for a leadership position, or who plan to one day take on a leadership role
- Leaders who struggle with relationships in the workplace
Butch Ward is senior faculty and former managing director at The Poynter Institute, where he teaches leadership, editing, reporting and writing. During his 27-year career as a journalist at The Philadelphia Inquirer and Baltimore News-American, Butch held a variety of newsroom positions, including managing editor at both newspapers.
The weekly lectures contain audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing these sessions with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the link from the Live Events page inside the course.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from the live event. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.