Jumpstarting Your Freelance Career: Marketing and Business Basics
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- October 28, 2010 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Jumpstarting Your Freelance Career: Marketing and Business Basics
- Originally Broadcast On:
- October 28, 2010
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 10 minutes.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Freelance writing is different from working as a staff writer at a publication. In addition to your writing skills, you'll need to know how to target your market, assess your income needs and understand business basics.
This one-hour Webinar will walk you through the basic questions to ask, steps to take and pitfalls to avoid when transitioning into a freelancing career.
What Will I Learn:
- Key factors to consider when choosing your markets
- How to evaluate your income needs when freelancing
- How to assess a publication's voice, audience and format
- The secrets of a compelling query
- Contract and record basics
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers in any platform who are interested in or beginning to build a freelance career.
In 20 years as a freelance writer, Salley Shannon has always had assignments from major circulation magazines on her desk. She is the current president of the American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA), which represents the nation's independent writers, whether their work appears in books, magazines or online. Shannon has written for Woman's Day, Reader's Digest, Parents, Good Housekeeping, Saveur, Smithsonian, The Washingtonian, More, and myriad other publications. Now a generalist, she originally specialized in science and health care reporting.
This Webinar contains audio. Please make sure you've got your headphones and speakers adjusted.
For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection