A Guide to Difficult Conversations
- A Guide to Difficult Conversations
- Originally Broadcast On:
- April 21, 2016
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Poynter Prepared members pay just $23.96 for this course. Save 20 percent on this course and more by becoming a Poynter Prepared Member. Learn more and register now.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- April 21, 2016 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
This webinar is designed to take the fear out of difficult conversations. Most managers put them off, partly out of a distaste for confrontation, and partly because they lack a plan for success.
But putting those conversations off almost never leads to a resolution; in fact, things usually get worse. You’ll complete this webinar with tools for approaching tough conversations strategically, and carrying them out with confidence.
What Will I Learn:
- How to prepare for a tough talk
- How to determine an achievable goal
- How to marry your approach to the seriousness of the issue
- How to anticipate and deal with emotion and aggressive responses
- How to collaborate with your boss and HR to guarantee a consistent message
- How to deal with your own ‘hot buttons’
Who Should Take this Course:
Any manager whose job requires working with a staff and its job performance.
Butch Ward is senior faculty and former managing director at The Poynter Institute, where he teaches leadership, editing, reporting and writing. During his 27-year career as a journalist at The Philadelphia Inquirer and Baltimore News-American, Butch held a variety of newsroom positions, including managing editor at both newspapers.
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.