Grappling with Graphic Images
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 13, 2014 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Grappling with Graphic Images
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 13, 2014
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Digital cameras and smartphones make it easier than ever to capture a dizzying array of images. Many of those can be graphic or gruesome. How do you decide what, where or whether to publish visually explicit photos and video?
This one-hour Webinar will explore some of the issues surrounding the choices that journalists face. We will help you weigh the ethical considerations and develop a framework for decision-making.
What Will I Learn:
- Ethical considerations of publishing images in the digital age
- How to understand the impact of images on your audience
- How to identify the stakeholders affected by your decisions
- Alternatives for presentation of video and still images
- Coaches and resources for more help
Who Should Take this Course:
Any journalist who takes part in selecting which images should be published in print, on television or online.
Kenny Irby is Poynter’s senior faculty of visual journalism and diversity. He is an integral figure in visual journalism education, having founded Poynter’s photojournalism program in 1995. He teaches and consults in the areas of digital photographic reporting, leadership, ethical decision making and diversity integration.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.