How to Edit Marketing Materials with Savvy and Sense
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- April 28, 2016 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- How to Edit Marketing Materials with Savvy and Sense
- Originally Broadcast On:
- April 28, 2016
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Poynter Prepared members pay just $23.96 for this webinar. Save 20 percent on this course and all Poynter training by becoming a Poynter Prepared Member. Learn more and become a member today. This Webinar is $9.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Editing marketing communications is different from editing other types of text. You must apply your knowledge of grammar and style. But you must also take brand voice, audience and messaging goals into account. How do you strike the right balance?
In this webinar, you’ll learn five critical questions to ask before editing any marketing material. You’ll also learn to develop a sophisticated editorial hand that ensures accuracy while maintaining your brand's voice.
What Will I Learn:
- How to clarify the level of edit required: from surface to substantive
- How to understand your audience and how your edits might change as a result
- How to embrace brand standards, tone and voice and let them guide your editing
- Learn to love the layers of style — or lack of style — you need to apply
- Master the publications workflow — and compare the different levels of effort you must bring to each phase of production.
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone who wants to successfully edit corporate communications, marketing materials, PR materials, ad copy or content offers. This webinar is for editors who just dip their toes in marketing — and editors who dream of working in an ad agency, PR firm or marketing communications department, in either a corporate or nonprofit setting.
Samantha Enslen runs Dragonfly Editorial. She has more than 20 years of experience editing marketing material of all sorts, and she's edited for ad agencies, web developers, universities, corporate communications departments, and more. Sam is on the executive board of the American Copy Editors Society, and she is the managing editor of ACES' quarterly journal, Tracking Changes.
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.