Investigating the Internet: How to Sniff Out Scams
- Investigating the Internet: How to Sniff Out Scams
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 24, 2017
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Save 20-25 percent on this course and more by becoming a Poynter Prepared Member. Learn more and join now. This webinar is $11.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 24, 2017 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
Please note this webinar starts at 3 p.m. The time of this webinar differs from our typical 2 p.m. Eastern webinar time
The internet can be filled with fake news, dubious claims and phony sources just as much as it can offer useful, valuable information. Get the knowledge and know-how to figure out which is which in this one-hour webinar.
Craig Silverman will give an overview of the useful tools and techniques he uses to sniff out fake news hustlers and online scammers, and to investigate websites, people and social accounts online. Using tools and approaches that anyone can learn — regardless of technical expertise — you will get what you need to make the most of the vast array of publicly-available information online.
The tools showcased are either completely free or provide a free version, and they are essential for any reporter, editor or researcher working today.
What Will I Learn:
- How to track back the owner of a website and examine its social footprint
- How to investigate images and videos to determine their origin and authenticity
- How to search Facebook and Twitter like a pro
- How to find people online, and how to connect them to websites, companies and other entities
- How to use a wide range of free tools to find information faster
Who Should Take this Course:
This webinar for all journalists working across different beats, as well as for researchers and others who need to track content and people on the internet. It provides a set of tools and techniques that can be applied to any beat or story, and does not require technical expertise or expensive subscriptions.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.