Language of the Image
- Language of the Image
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about an hour to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
When photographers and editors don’t articulate the journalistic value of an image, an important voice of the publication is muted or rendered ineffective. Photojournalists should use, and encourage others to use, the visual language. This course will help you learn that visual language.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use the visual vocabulary when discussing images
- Articulate the journalistic value of an image
- Make better storytelling images
Who should take this course:
Photojournalists, picture editors, designers, reporters and anyone who wants make better images and use visual language to discuss them.
Davidson is a partner in Creative Eye Consulting, specializing in visual therapy for the newsroom. Before leaving in January 2003, Davidson was assistant managing editor/photography and senior editor/visuals at The Dallas Morning News. He has worked at five other newspapers as a photographer and photo editor.
Maria Mann is managing editor of the European Pressphoto Agency, based in Frankfurt.
For this course you will need to have at least version 7.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
This course contains audio, so please make sure you have your speakers or headphones on.
- Senior Producer/Programmer: J. Paige West
- Graphic Design: Anne Van Wagener, Jen Wallace
- Voice Talent: Matt Thompson, Cary Perez Waulk
- Music: Aaron McLeran
- Copy Editor: Vicki Krueger
- Executive Producer: Howard Finberg