- Layout-driven Editing: A Seminar Snapshot
- Seminar Snapshot
- Time Estimate:
- This Seminar Snapshot is divided into six sections. The total playing time is about 40 minutes.
About Seminar Snapshots
A Seminar Snapshot captures the key learning points of a seminar presentation at The Poynter Institute or at another training event. A snapshot features edited video highlights and other materials offered during a seminar presentation.
Here's a layout theory that takes the traditional "writing to a hole" to new levels.
Margaretha Engström, the publisher of two small papers in Sweden, describes how she upended the traditional editing and layout process in her newsrooms.
She converted to layout-driven systems in which pages are constructed using pre-determined templates -- and reporters and photographers are responsible for posting their work in the layout.
She outlines the benefits she sees in streamlining newsroom production in this Seminar Snapshot recorded Feb. 5, 2009, at the 2009 SNA Spring Publishers' Conference.
What Will I Learn:
How an innovative publisher:
- Benefited from a different reporting approach as reporters and photographers were able to think about the space their stories and photos have been assigned before they go out on an assignment
- Got a better mix of hard and soft news in each day's paper
- Gained more time in the evenings to cover breaking news
- Needed fewer copy editors in the evening to produce the print edition
Who should take this course:
This course is for all editors, reporters, copy editors and photographers who are curious about ways to do more with less in today's newsrooms.
Margaretha Engström is the publisher of Ystads Allehanda and Trelleborgs Allehanda, two newspapers in southern Sweden with a combined circulation of about 40,000.
This Seminar Snapshot contains audio. Please make sure you've got your headphones and speakers adjusted.
To watch this replay, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high speed connection
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.