Managing the Big Project
- Managing the Big Project
- Originally Broadcast On:
- October 13, 2015
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- October 13, 2015 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
How are cross-platform, multimedia and in-depth stories developed? How do you know if a story is worth the investment? How do you organize the reporting and writing/producing?
From vetting the idea to finding collaborators to coaching the story: How to produce "big" stories worthy of your time--and your audience's time.
What Will I Learn:
- How to assess your idea: Is it worth the investment?
- How to make the pitch to your bosses
- The importance of cross-platform collaborators
- How to streamline the writing/producing process
Who Should Take this Course:
Mobile, digital, print and video editors who want to help writers and videographers take on big-picture, in-depth storytelling.
Jan Winburn is senior editor for enterprise reporting at CNN Digital, where she is bringing longform multimedia storytelling to a brand known for breaking news. Before joining CNN in 2009, she was an editor at newspapers for three decades. Among the awards her writers have won: The Pulitzer Prize for feature writing, a Dart Award, the Livingston Award for Young Journalists, a Batten Medal and a Peabody Award.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.