Managing Change: Creating Strategies, Setting Priorities
- Managing Change: Creating Strategies, Setting Priorities
- Self-Directed Course
- This $24.95 course is free thanks to the support of the Newspaper Association of America Foundation.
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about two to three hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Changes challenge every newsroom -- and every organization. Yet few of us, no matter where we fit on the org chart, have much training in the science and art of change management.
To succeed in managing change, you need to ask the right questions: What do I want to have happen? How do I assess whether my group is ready for change? What levers do I pull? How do I measure success?
In this course, you'll learn how to think about change, analyze your own attitude toward change, set priorities and identify what should change, as well as develop strategies for leading and coaching others. When you're done with the course, you'll have created a roadmap for leading change in your organization. And you'll have the confidence to put your plan into action.
What Will I Learn:
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the nature of change
- Understand your own willingness and ability to change
- Identify what you want to change and why
- Develop a framework to lead change effectively
Who should take this course:
If you manage other people or just need to understand how to deal with change yourself, this course is for you.
Elaine Kramer is a project manager for NewsTrain. She also creates and teaches leadership development programs for editors at GateHouse Media. She was managing editor of The Orlando Sentinel from 2001 to 2004. Before that, she was managing editor and then editor of The Morning Call in Allentown, Pa. She held various editing positions at The Hartford Courant in Connecticut over 12 years, and previously worked at The Louisville Courier-Journal; the Belleville, Ill., News-Democrat; and as a Peace Corps volunteer in Sierra Leone. Elaine graduated from Northwestern University in 1979.
For this course you will need to have at least version 7.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection