News Sense: The Building Blocks of News
- News Sense: The Building Blocks of News
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- News Sense takes about an hour to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Judge the newsworthiness of stories
- Verify facts using multiple sources
- Clarify information for yourself, readers and viewers
- Build a strong foundation for any news story
Who should take this course:
Anyone who wants to understand the building blocks of the news and how journalists use these building blocks.
Mary Ann Hogan is a former writing coach who now teaches rhetoric and critical thinking at Florida Atlantic University.
For this course you will need to have at least version 7.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- you set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- you use a high speed connection