Remaking Student Media, Inside and Out
- Remaking Student Media, Inside and Out
- Originally Broadcast On:
- June 20, 2013
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- June 20, 2013 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
Student Media is not immune to the tumultuous changes that have affected media organizations all over the world. However, student media may be uniquely positioned to thrive in a changed environment. By examining and reconsidering their role on campus and by embracing innovation, student media can lead instead of follow and become a positive force in communities.
This Webinar will take you through four key steps for remaking student media and will provide multiple, practical case studies from various student media programs nationwide. We'll look at programatic/educational issues as well as business/revenue concerns -- and offer ideas for how to innovate and improve in both areas.
What Will I Learn:
- Putting the STUDENT back into "Student Media" - How putting students in the driver's seat will reinvigorate your organization.
- Embracing the MEDIA in "Student Media" - EVERYONE consumes and creates content. EVERYONE is building relationships with technology. This is good for student media.
- Leading on Campus & Beyond - Building close, but respectful, partnerships on and off campus can help you be more relevant and more successful.
- United We Stand - The world is small. Building peer and alumni networks will give you strength.
Who Should Take this Course:
Students involved with media on college campuses, and advisers, professors or other professionals interested in improving campus dialogues through student media.
Jason Manning is director of student media at Arizona State University, where he serves as adviser and publisher to the university's student-run news outlets: The State Press, StatePress.com, State Press Multimedia and State Press Magazine.
Manning is also a faculty member at ASU's Cronkite School of Journalism, where he teaches Journalism & Technology and co-teaches Borderlands Issues and Depth Reporting.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.