Reporting Across Platforms (Private)
- Reporting Across Platforms (Private)
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes two to three hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Reporting across platforms requires you to think differently. This course is designed to help you cultivate that different approach to reporting.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will know how to:
- Explain the value of telling stories across platforms
- Identify key differences in writing styles for each medium
- Explain how reporter narrative is used in storytelling in each medium
- Apply style differences in storytelling for print versus broadcast versus online
- Identify the personnel necessary to gather appropriate content in each platform
- Determine how information from sources is used in the different formats
- Recognize the story structure of each format and select the most appropriate platform for telling parts of a story
- Analyze cross-platform stories
Who should take this course:
Anyone who wants to know how reporting differs in different mediums -- especially journalists with experience in one medium who want to learn how to tell stories in other platforms.
Julie E. Dodd is a professor of journalism at the University of Florida, where she teaches the introductory writing course for journalism, public relations and advertising majors and a graduate course about teaching.
Judy Robinson is an assistant professor in the College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida where she teaches technology-based courses.
Victoria Lim is a broadcaster who expanded her storytelling to the newspaper and online while she was the senior consumer investigative reporter for Media General in Tampa, a converged operation that includes WFLA-TV, The Tampa Tribune and TBO.com.
For this course you will need to have at least version 8.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
This course contains audio, so please make sure you have your speakers or headphones on.
- Senior Producer/Programmer: Vanessa Goodrum
- Graphic Design: Nuria Peña
- Editor: Vicki Krueger
- Executive Producer: Howard Finberg