Social Media Visuals: Tips and Free Tools
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- February 14, 2017 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Social Media Visuals: Tips and Free Tools
- Originally Broadcast On:
- February 14, 2017
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Save by buying the Training package containing all five webinars for $99.
This webinar is FREE for members of the Society for News Design (SND). Watch your member email to get details about the promocode to enroll for free.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
If you're still posting all-text social posts or sticking to simple images, it's time to think again. Broaden your visual storytelling online with simple animation, text on video, interactive graphics and more.
In this webinar, you'll find tips and resources for crafting a visual story aimed appropriately at how, when and where your audience wants it. Call it platform intelligence, or just finding a way to embrace the constraints.
Save by buying the Training package containing all five webinars for $99. The training package is free for SND members.
What Will I Learn:
- Tiny documentaries: those short little videos that work with or without audio
- Before and after: a slider that allows quick comparison or juxtaposition
- Step-by-steps: good editing with a slideshow tool or video
- Engaging interactives: clickable images, maps and charts with little or no code necessary
- What we know about how people read and engage
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone who produces digital stories: editors, designers, producers and more.
A design and journalism consultant, Sara Quinn holds the R.M. Seaton Chair for Professional Journalism at Kansas State University. Immediate Past President of the Society for News Design. She taught at The Poynter Institute for more than a decade. Her eyetracking research for Poynter and other organizations on newspaper, tablet and online reading habits helps journalists determine the best forms for storytelling.
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.