Twitter for Journalists: New Channels, New Cycles for News
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- February 11, 2009 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Twitter for Journalists: New Channels, New Cycles for News
- Originally Broadcast On:
- February 11, 2009
- Time Estimate:
- One hour
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Wondering why everyone is chirping about the merits of Twitter?
This Webinar, originally broadcast Feb. 11, 2009, will help you understand what the hottest social networking site is all about.
You'll learn how to get started using Twitter; you'll learn its journalistic uses; and then we'll explore Twitter best practices.
If you haven't started tweeing on Twitter or haven't figured out how to use it, this Webinar is for you.
Whether you're interested in using Twitter to build an information portal or just want to learn how to sync it with your mobile device and social networks -- we'll get you acquainted with the microblogging phenomenon.
What Will I Learn:
- How to use Twitter.
- How to post a tweet (from your cell, IM, Web site, Facebook)
- How to send a public or private message
- How to follow someone (and what that means)
- How to gather twitterers around subject or news organizations using hash tags
- How to sync it with Facebook
- What you do with Twitter
- About journalists and news organizations that use Twitter well
- How a newsroom uses it to show users how the sausage is made
- How news organizations collaboratively tweet an event
- How individual journalists harness the platform
- How Twitter can be used with another medium
Who Should Take this Course:
If you or your friends aren't on Twitter because you haven't figured out how to use it, this Webinar is for you.
Since joining The Poynter Institute in 2007, Ellyn Angelotti Kamke has helped Poynter explore the journalistic values and the legal challenges related to new technologies, especially social media. She also has helped create and develop Poynter’s use of such interactive teaching tools as online chats and podcasts. You can follow her on Twitter at @ellynkamke.
Her current work is focused on the intersection of journalism, technology and the law. She recently graduated from law school at Stetson University College of Law, where she received the Judge Raphael Steinhardt award for character, leadership and service to the community.
This Webinar contains audio. Please make sure you've got your headphones and speakers adjusted.
For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection