Web Headlines & SEO Essentials (May 2017)
- Web Headlines & SEO Essentials (May 2017)
- Online Group Seminar
- Time Estimate:
- The content of this course unfolds over two weeks. There are few scheduled meeting times, except for several live discussions, so you'll be able to learn on a schedule that works for you. The minimum time commitment each week is five to seven hours.
Poynter Prepared members can save 20-25% on this course and all Poynter training. Learn more and join now.
About Online Group Seminars
In an online group seminar, you will gather with other participants in a virtual space, logging in from anywhere, day or night, over the course of several weeks. A faculty member guides the group through new material, moderates discussions and provides individual feedback.
- May 12 to May 30, 2017
Headlines appear on the Web with photos, graphics or other type, but usually they stand alone. That means you've only got a few words—and a few seconds—to tell readers what the story (or blog posting, video or photo gallery) is about. In this course, we'll focus on considerations unique to the Web. Chief among these, of course, is SEO – a set of technologies and techniques that can bring more eyes to your content and more visitors to your site.
Review a sample syllabus for the course.
What Will I Learn:
- The principles of good headline writing, regardless of platform
- How search engines work and the elements that contribute to the “find-ability” of a web page
- The elements that should – and should not – be included in a good web headline
- How to use tools to track what people are looking for, and how they're searching for it
John Schlander is managing editor at thepennyhoarder.com, recently named by Inc. Magazine as the 32nd fast-growing company in the nation. He started there in August 2016 after 32 years at the Tampa Bay Times, where he was digital general manager. He is also adjunct faculty at the Poynter Institute.