- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- November 30, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Social Media and Your 2012 Election Coverage
- Originally Broadcast On:
- November 30, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Thanks to the support of our sponsor, the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, we are able to offer this $29.95 Webinar for just $9.95.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Whether you’re covering the presidential race or the local town council campaign, social media will play a role in your coverage.
This Webinar will show you how campaigns use social media and how you and your organization can use social media in your 2012 election coverage.
Learn how you can deepen your conversation with your community, involve the public in your coverage and use social media tools to deliver the political coverage your community needs.
This Webinar is associated with McCormick Foundation's Specialized Reporting Institute about "Elections 2012: The Campaign for Social Media," at The Poynter Institute, Oct. 25-27, 2011. .
What Will I Learn:
- How campaigns are using social media to communicate directly with voters, minimizing campaign contact with the news media
- A process for basing a coverage strategy on your access to various sources of information
- How you can use social media to improve your coverage of election night and other campaign coverage "must-dos"
Who Should Take this Course:
Reporters, editors, producers, bloggers and others covering the 2012 election.
Butch Ward is senior faculty and former managing director at The Poynter Institute, where he teaches leadership, editing, reporting and writing. During his 27-year career as a journalist at The Philadelphia Inquirer and Baltimore News-American, Butch held a variety of newsroom positions, including managing editor at both newspapers.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.