- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 30, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- HTML5 Essentials for Content Creators
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 30, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
This Webinar is $9.95 for members of ONA. For registration instructions and the ONA member promotion code, visit the Discounts page.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
The Web is changing. Browsers are getting more powerful. Mobile devices connected to the Web are becoming commonplace. All this innovation is being led by a set of open technologies known as HTML5.
This one-hour Webinar will help you learn how to structure and present content for the Web using the HTML5. The presentation will guide you through HTML5 details such as new tags for audio, video and animation, CSS3, Web storage, WebSockets, WebGL and Canvas. You'll understand the meat and potatoes of HTML5 and how to apply it to your work.
This Webinar is for developers and others who are familiar with HTML. If you want to learn the basics of HTML, Poynter's NewsU also offers an introductory Webinar, Programming for Non-Geeks: Essential HTML.
What Will I Learn:
- Why HTML5 is a significant step forward for the technology that powers the Web
- Details of the various HTML5 technologies
- HTML5 in real-world use
- Practical considerations and techniques for implementing HTML5 today
Who Should Take this Course:
Developers and anyone interested in modernizing their approach to building web pages using HTML5. This Webinar covers advanced HTML details such as WebSockets, native video and audio, and WebGL and Canvas. If you want to learn the basics of HTML, Poynter's NewsU also offers an introductory Webinar, Programming for Non-Geeks: Essential HTML.
Luigi Montanez is a software developer at the Sunlight Foundation, a non-profit, non-partisan organization that uses the power of the Internet to catalyze greater government openness and transparency. He builds web apps at Sunlight, most recently Poligraft and Stream Congress. He has spoken at numerous developer conferences on civic-minded coding, search-engine considerations and emerging Web standards.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.