- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 02, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Understanding Internet Basics for a Better Online News Operation
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 02, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Understanding how your content moves across the Internet will help you better manage and optimize your digital news operation. Learn how your content is sent, received and split into pieces. This Webinar will introduce technical terms and concepts such as Web addresses and protocols, which will help you solve problems and give you new confidence when talking with your technical team.
What Will I Learn:
- How information is sent and received over the Internet
- How Web addresses are assigned (and why it matters)
- Protocols such as “http” and “TCP/IP”
- How information is split into pieces, sent and reassembled for consumption
Who Should Take this Course:
Digital journalists, editors, managers, publishers or people in ad operations who need to manage and make sense of the technology that powers the Web and other Internet applications. This modules does not address issues of online content. Please see NewsU's course page for related or other training modules.
Dorian Benkoil is an award-winning journalist and adjunct professor of eBusiness at the City University of New York. A former managing producer at ABCNews.com, and foreign correspondent and reporter for Newsweek and The Associated Press, he heads Teeming Media, a strategic media consultancy focused on using digital and social media to build communities, and help use them to meet their business objectives.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, my encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.