- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- June 09, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Mastering Revision: Polish Your Writing Like a Pro
- Originally Broadcast On:
- June 09, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Many writers view revision as they would pulling teeth: It’s necessary but very painful. For many, revision equals failure, when in fact it provides an fresh chance to improve your work.
This Webinar will challenge common attitudes toward revision and help reverse them. It will present vital strategies and practical ways take advantage of this critical step in the writing process—using your computer and printouts. No matter how accomplished you are, you will encounter news ways to improve your stories through revision.
What Will I Learn:
- Identify and examine your attitudes towards revision
- Share ways you revise your work now
- Analyze revision pitfalls and offer ways to dodge them
- Present a range of approaches to incorporate revision in your writing process
- Learn how to revise using computer tools and printed text, from reading aloud to flagging potential problems
- Discover common problems—weak verbs, overly long sentences, jargon, and other inaccessible word choices.
- First diagnose, then use revision to cure your story’s ills
Who Should Take this Course:
Any writer interested in refining his work.
Chip Scanlan is an affiliate faculty member of The Poynter Institute. From 1994 until 2009, when he retired as senior faculty for writing, he directed Poynter’s writing programs, co-directed the summer fellowship in reporting and writing for college graduates, and taught and led multimedia seminars. He has coached journalists around America, Europe and Asia. His three self-directed News University courses, The Lead Lab, The Interview and Get Me Rewrite: The Craft of Revision regularly rank among NewsU’s top courses.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.