- Understanding the Mobile News Audience
- Originally Broadcast On:
- November 17, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- November 17, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
Who's using mobile news? How are they using it? What are they looking for?
This Webinar will help you sort out meaningful data about the mobile news audience. We'll look at the statistics and also some organizations that have used this data to build, evolve and improve their mobile products.
Others in this Webinar series include:
- Reporting and Publishing News with Mobile Tools, Webinar replay now available
- Mobile Content: Seven Business Strategies for News Media, Webinar replay now available
When you attend one of the Webinars, you get 30 percent off the others. (You'll get the discount code during the replay.)
What Will I Learn:
- What a wide variety of research reveals about the mobile audience
- How phone and tablet audiences are the same, and how they differ
- How other news organizations have improved their mobile offerings by listening to the audience needs
- What understanding your audience can do to improve your products
- Simple tips for getting started measuring your own audience
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone charged with building or developing mobile media products.
Regina McCombs is Senior Editor for Visual News at Minnesota Public Radio. She was previously a faculty member of at The Poynter Institute and is now an adjunct faculty member, teaching multimedia, mobile news, social media and leading data journalism seminars.
Previously, she was the senior producer for multimedia at StarTribune.com in Minneapolis-St. Paul. For StarTribune.com, she coordinated the multimedia team’s coverage, shot and edited video stories, created audio slide shows, produced major projects and trained staff in creating multimedia. She arrived there after 13 years as a television field producer and photographer at KARE-TV, the NPPA-winning powerhouse in the Twin Cities. At KARE, she developed several database journalism projects and trained staff in CAR techniques. She also taught classes in online journalism and TV news at the University of Minnesota, where she received her master’s degree.
Winner of numerous Best of Photojournalism and Pictures of the Year International awards for multimedia storytelling, as well as Emmys for her online and video work, she has been a regular speaker around the country and around the world, talking about finding new ways to tell stories on Web and mobile platforms, especially with video.
Find her on Twitter @reginajmc.
Read her complete Poynter profile here.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.