- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 09, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Short Narrative Bursts: Social Media Writing
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 09, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Conquer the challenge of telling a lively, fair and contextualized story through social media platforms. There's an art to writing briefly and thoroughly in a small space. But you can have a voice, communicate important information and successfully write to an audience who read blips of information at a time. This Webinar will help you apply traditional writing strategies to social media platforms.
What Will I Learn:
- How to develop your voice through social media
- How to set the appropriate tone with your audience (and your critics)
- How to balance social media edge with journalistic values
Who Should Take this Course:
Reporters and writers who want to learn to write for social media.
David Folkenflik is NPR's media correspondent based in New York City. He has been with the network since 2004 and appears on NPR's newsmagazines and shows, including All Things Considered, Morning Edition and Talk of the Nation. Previously, he was a reporter for The Sun in Baltimore and the Durham, N.C., Herald-Sun.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, my encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.