- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- November 15, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Tablet Design and Storytelling: Poynter EyeTrack Research
- Originally Broadcast On:
- November 15, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- About an hour
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Get a heads up on what it takes to engage readers using touch screens. Poynter's recent EyeTrack study reveals the latest analysis with practical tips for creating stories that make use of interactivity and touch.
Tablet storytelling requires the same sort of finesse necessary for print or Web design. But touch … well, that’s the new factor in keeping a reader engaged.
What Will I Learn:
- How to craft stories that satisfy users of tablet and mobile
- How reading styles differ across age groups and audiences
- How much people read, how they connect with a tablet screen and what helps them to focus on a story
- How to build audience by understanding the most desirable forms
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone interested in building audience and storytelling on tablets—journalists, non-profit and PR experts, educators, students, designers and developers.
Sara Quinn teaches visual journalism, leadership and multimedia. She directs Poynter's EyeTrack research of reading habits, which helps journalists determine the best forms for storytelling in print, on tablet and online. She also directs the Poynter Institute's custom training programs. You can follow her on Twitter @saraquinn.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.