Get Me Rewrite: The Craft of Revision
- Get Me Rewrite: The Craft of Revision
- Self-Directed Course
- Time Estimate:
- This course takes about two hours to complete.
About Self-Directed Courses
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material.
Since you are enrolled in this course, then you have already won half the battle -- admitting to yourself that all writers need to revise their copy, no matter how good they are. This course will show you how to do it. And you're sure to learn some amazing things about revising your copy, including less is often better.
What Will I Learn:
Upon completing this course, you will know how to:
- Identify and tag problems in your copy
- Identify weak verbs and other words in your text
- Analyze the length of your sentences and paragraphs and determine how long is too long
- Trim pesky and extraneous words and phrases that bog down your copy
Who should take this course:
Anyone who wants to make his or her writing better by revising it. It's tempting to just write and submit or post, but by taking a little time to look over your work and bolster your words, you will end up with much better and stronger writing.
Chip Scanlan is an affiliate faculty member of The Poynter Institute. From 1994 until 2009, when he retired as senior faculty for writing, he directed Poynter’s writing programs, co-directed the summer fellowship in reporting and writing for college graduates, and taught and led multimedia seminars. He has coached journalists around America, Europe and Asia. His three self-directed News University courses, The Lead Lab, The Interview and Get Me Rewrite: The Craft of Revision regularly rank among NewsU’s top courses.
For this course you will need to have at least version 7.0 of the Flash plugin installed. For the best experience, we suggest that:
- PC users use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox
- Mac users use Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox or Safari
- You set your monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher
- You use a high-speed connection
- Senior Producer/Programmer: Casey Frechette
- Assistant Producer/Programmer: Ben Russell, Elizabeth Ferris
- Graphic Design: Jen Wallace, Nicole Sarsfield
- Copy Editor: Vicki Krueger
- Executive Producer: Howard Finberg