- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- May 29, 2014 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Slimming It Down: Cutting Content for Different Spaces
- Originally Broadcast On:
- May 29, 2014
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
This Webinar is $9.95 for members of the American Copy Editors Society (ACES). Watch your member email to get details about the discount.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Sometimes readers don’t want the whole story--they want the highlights. But when you have to edit a story for different platforms, how do you keep the news without losing all the details?
This Webinar will cover the principles and practices of cutting, summarizing and rewriting stories for different spaces, such as brief news roundups, summaries for apps, mobile and social media, and the traditional limited-space print news hole.
What Will I Learn:
- How to focus on the most important information
- How to keep the news without losing all the detail
- How to ensure the story is relevant to your audience
- How to rewrite a story to get rid of unnecessary words
- How to summarize information concisely
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers, producers, editors and anyone who works with words on multiple platforms.
Lisa McLendon runs the Bremner Editing Center at the University of Kansas journalism school, where she also teaches editing and grammar. She has previously worked as a copy editor and book reviewer at the Wichita (Kan.) Eagle and as a copy editor, designer and desk chief at the Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.