- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- January 26, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Secrets of Successful News Startups
- Originally Broadcast On:
- January 26, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
The most successful -- or most promising -- news startups share several characteristics. In this Webinar, we'll explore what they share and how you can put their strategies to work for you.
You will see practical examples from news entrepreneurs who have built successful ventures covering hyperlocal news, politics, technology, arts and more. And you'll learn from the best practices of those who have turned one-person blogs into full-blown news companies,
What Will I Learn:
- How successful startups have found a niche or location
- The value of different business models, both for-profit and non-profit
- How to keep the site going when the passion wanes
- Best practices to grow audience
- Ways to innovate in finding a sustainable business model
Who Should Take this Course:
Entrepreneurs or anyone interested in developing a news startup who is looking for strategies to grow audience and revenue.
Mark Briggs is director of digital media at King 5 TV in Seattle and the author of Entrepreneurial Journalism: How to Build What's Next for News, published by CQ Press. He also is a Ford Fellow of Entrepreneurial Journalism at The Poynter Institute and is the editor of the blog Journalism 2.0. He is the instructor for several courses at Poynter's NewsU, including Becoming an Entrepreneurial Journalist: From Idea to Implementation, Entrepreneurial Journalism: Revenue and Marketing and Innovation at Work: Helping New Ideas Succeed.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.