- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 04, 2014 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- 7 Tools for Next-Level Writing: National Grammar Day 2014
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 04, 2014
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
In honor of National Grammar Day on March 4, this Webinar is just $9.95.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Maybe you hate grammar. Maybe you love it. Maybe you want to persuade your students, children or first dates to love grammar as much as you do.
In this special Webinar in honor of National Grammar Day, we will use X-ray reading to show you how thinking strategically about your grammar choices can take your writing to the next level. If you can't be convinced to love grammar by Roy Peter Clark, author of the The Glamour of Grammar and How to Write Short, you can't be convinced.
Clark, one of the nation's top writing coaches, will show you how to make your writing compelling and engaging. He will give you tools to help your own writing, to help teach writing to others, and to (at least start to) love grammar.
What Will I Learn:
- How to use "mentor texts"
- How and when to vary active and passive verbs for effect
- The importance of "sentence organization"
- How to use "rhetorical numbers"
- The importance of varying sentence length
- How to use extended metaphors without overextending
- How to use literary allusions in all types of writing
Who Should Take this Course:
Educators, writers and editors of all kinds who want to learn new ways to think of grammar and new ways to share the grammar love.
Roy Peter Clark is vice president and senior scholar at The Poynter Institute, where he has taught writing since 1979. He is the author of the book Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer and course on Poynter's NewsU The Writer's Workbench: 50 Tools You Can Use, and the book The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English. His latest work includes the book Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces, companion course on Poynter's NewsU, Help! for Writers and mobile app Help! for Writers. He is part of the one-day workshop, The Writing Process, offered through Poynter's NewsU. He also blogs and chats about writing tools on Poynter.org. You can follow him on Twitter at @RoyPeterClark.
His newest book is How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.