- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- November 07, 2013 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Preparing Journalism for the Age of Wearable Devices
- Originally Broadcast On:
- November 07, 2013
- Time Estimate:
- One hour for the main presentation and questions. Sometimes presenters stay longer to answer additional questions from participants.
Buy all the Webinars in the Essentials of Mobile Journalism Series and save 25 to 30 percent.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Mobile technology brought us smartphones, then tablets. Now a new technology wave is arriving--Google Glass, smartwatches and other “wearable” computing devices.
This new class of devices will disrupt the way people get their news and information--and experience the world around them. Are you ready?
This Webinar will help you understand how news gathering, news publishing and audience engagement may change in the wearable era.
This Webinar is part of our series on the Essentials of Mobile Journalism. Get the skills you need to thrive in journalism's mobile age in this special training event. You can save 25 to 30 percent when you buy the series.
What Will I Learn:
- What are wearables and what types of devices are on the horizon
- How these new types of devices work and how people use them
- How journalists can use wearable devices for news gathering
- What new types of news products you will need to build for these devices
Who Should Take this Course:
Reporters, product managers, producers and others who are interested in journalism and the way technology will change news gathering and distribution.
Jeff Sonderman is the deputy director of the American Press Institute, which produces research, educational resources and tools for innovative and sustainable journalism.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load.
To watch the replay from your iPad, you'll have use a different app from Live Webinars. Browse and download an app from iTunes that allows your device to view a Flash video player. There are multiple apps to choose from, some are free with ads and there are others for purchase.