- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- October 04, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Effective Social Media for Small Organizations
- Originally Broadcast On:
- October 04, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
This Webinar will help you put social media to work. Learn about your readers and community information on places like Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook. Learn how to manage more than one Twitter account when your content streams diverge and hit two audiences. Check out a few free programs that help curate social media, like Storify.
Add more horsepower to your small news organization with the power of social media. Get a governor paying attention to your little site via Twitter and make statewide news out of it. Know which networks your readers are connecting to and how they can connect to you.
What Will I Learn:
- Why it’s more important for little guys than the big guys to be on social media
- Why you can’t manage all this through RSS feeds
- What lessons there are from Patch and others in presenting social media on your site
- How your readers are already connecting in networks like Ning, Facebook, Flickr, even Google calendar
Who Should Take this Course:
Managers, editors and reporters in small news operations looking for ways to leverage social media.
Kat Powers is the director of communications at American Red Cross Eastern. Prior to her current position, she was the managing editor with WickedLocal.com.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.