- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- February 09, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Six Traits of Successful Entrepreneurial Journalists
- Originally Broadcast On:
- February 09, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- An hour for the main presentation and about 15 minutes for additional questions.
Purchase the webinar and get the book "Entrepreneurial Journalism: How to Build What's Next for News" at a discounted price. The regular price of the book is $23.00
The course plus the book is
- $49.95 for U.S. shipping
- $69.95 for international shipping
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Digital news startups, from Huffington Post to neighborhood blogs, are showing what the future of journalism looks like today. This one-hour Webinar will help you understand how they make it work, from smart content decisions to diversified revenue models and savvy use of social media.
Even if you're not an entrepreneur, you'll learn how to cultivate innovation in your own organization and how to develop an entrepreneurial mindset.
Entrepreneurial journalism doesn't mean you have to go start your own company. It's about creating new products, new markets, new ideas and new businesses to capture some of economic benefit to fuel future products, markets and ideas -- important concepts in today's rapidly changing digital media landscape.
Check out the Storify on this event here.
What Will I Learn:
- What is the current digital news landscape and who are new players in it
- How digital news startups make money, whether for-profit on non-profit
- The common trait among successful news entrepreneurs
Who Should Take this Course:
Anyone interested in learning how successful news entrepreneurs developed their ideas into real businesses, making real money with innovative approaches to digital publishing.
Mark Briggs is director of digital media at King 5 TV in Seattle and the author of Entrepreneurial Journalism: How to Build What's Next for News, published by CQ Press. He also is a Ford Fellow of Entrepreneurial Journalism at The Poynter Institute and is the editor of the blog Journalism 2.0. He is the instructor for several courses at Poynter's NewsU, including Becoming an Entrepreneurial Journalist: From Idea to Implementation, Entrepreneurial Journalism: Revenue and Marketing and Innovation at Work: Helping New Ideas Succeed.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.