- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- March 21, 2012 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Understanding Social Media Tools and Techniques
- Originally Broadcast On:
- March 21, 2012
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Social media is an essential part of building an audience and doing journalism online. But there are many social networks competing for attention, and many tools to choose from. This Webinar will help you find the latest tools and techniques to have a strong and efficient social media presence.
What Will I Learn:
- How to use tools like Tweetdeck and Hootsuite more effectively to manage multiple social media accounts and find news
- Strategies and tools for scheduling your posts in advance, saving time and reaching more people
- Ways to maximize engagement on your media organization’s Facebook page, and tips for building a Facebook audience
- Why people share news, and how to get them to share yours
- Ways to be effective in social media without neglecting other job duties
Who Should Take this Course:
Editors, reporters, freelancers and others who want to build their social media presence.
Jeff Sonderman is the deputy director of the American Press Institute, which produces research, educational resources and tools for innovative and sustainable journalism.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.