- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- September 29, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Writing Successful Profiles
- Originally Broadcast On:
- September 29, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 15 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Whether it’s a daily-turn profile of a person in the news or a richly reported feature story, all successful profiles require a clear sense of purpose. Learn to get beyond the obvious and write about a life, not a resume.
What Will I Learn:
- How to avoid profile clichés: the Heroic Do-gooder, the Freak of the Week
- How to distill the larger meaning
- How to report for character and complexity, choices and consequences, action and detail
- Every profile is really a quest
- Vulnerabilities make characters more appealing
Who Should Take this Course:
Feature, obituary and other writers tasked to make an account of a person's life.
Jan Winburn is senior editor for enterprise reporting at CNN Digital, where she is bringing longform multimedia storytelling to a brand known for breaking news. Before joining CNN in 2009, she was an editor at newspapers for three decades. Among the awards her writers have won: The Pulitzer Prize for feature writing, a Dart Award, the Livingston Award for Young Journalists, a Batten Medal and a Peabody Award.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, my encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.